Popular Posts

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snacks

You know that I love snacks... but usually all things bad for me... candy, cupcakes, chips. Even though these all taste oh so good, I am still always hungry. Plus I need quick things that I can eat at work and in the car. Not sure if you guys are getting and reading the FabFitFun emails that I forwarded to you, but there was a really good one on healthy snacks this week and I went out and bought the food they recommended. Here are my thoughts...

Almonds: Everyone knows these are good for you so no need to elaborate.

Lara Bars: These are awesome! I found them in the organic section of the grocery stores. They seriously consist of only a few incredients - all good and nothing artificial (for example, the "blueberry muffin" bar has: blueberries, cashews, dates, lemon, vanilla). I'd highly recommend these.

Greek Yogurt: Have you guys every had this? It's weird! Also found in the organic section. Sorta tastes like a mix of plain yogurt and sour cream... it isn't good... but, I did buy a few minis that come with fruit and it's good only if mixed in fruit. Apparently, it's pretty good for you, so I might keep trying.

Hummus with Pretzels: Good snack. My favorite hummus is roasted red pepper and pretzels are better for you than crackers or chips.

I think those were the items they recommended that I tried. I've also been really into smoothies lately. My favorite concoction is a banana, chocolate almond milk, peanut butter and plain yogurt - tastes great and fills you up!

Ok, the last thing on my mind right now is wheatgrass. Scott and I tried a wheatgrass shot for the first time today at Robeks. One ounce of this stuff is equal to 2.5 lbs of leafy green vegetables... needless to say, it's awesome for you. We tried it and it's not too bad... tastes like you're drinking grass, but I've taken shots of much worse, so I'd definitely recommend. Apparently, it's a great hangover cure, too.

9 comments:

  1. ahh good stuff!

    I used to buy mini bags of almonds and eat them ALL THE TIME! I love them :)
    I eat greek yogurt, I get the athenos brand with blueberries. I like it because it has twice the protein as regular yogurt, and i know I don't get enough protein. I don't much like regular yogurt either so I tolerate both because they're so good for me. I also cook with the plain kind whenever a recipe calls for sour cream.
    I'm officially addicted to Roasted Garlic Hummus. Ate it with pretzels today. Glad to hear it's that good for me cause I am seriously obsessed.
    I'll have to try those Lara Bars. Do you think Buehlers would have them?

    I'll have to try your chocolate peanut butter smoothie Annie. I made one today with mixed berries, blueberry yogurt, mango nectar, a banana, and milk. It was definitely delicious.

    Next time I come see you I want to try the wheatgrass. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into the Athenos brand of greek yogurt with blueberries... maybe I'll like it more. I think the brand I bought was FAGE. I bet Buehlers would have the Lara Bars or the coop definitely would. When you come up next, we're definitely taking wheatgrass shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried a million times to respond to this but my computer has the flu I think LOL. Im gonna respond to each one, one by one.
    Almonds - I am not a fan of plain almonds by themselves. In order for me to eat them I have to mix them with other things. I went to Heinens and got some plain almonds, dried cranberries and banana chips. I mixed all those together and sometimes I like to mix in fresh blueberries and Emerald Chocolate Almonds. Put those in little separate snack baggies they are the perfect snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried Lara bars. They sound good. All natural simple ingredients are my fav. Naked Smoothies are also good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAGE greek yogurt is really good. I like the Honey and cherry. Also i get the large 0% and use it like Ali said as sour cream. really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hummus is awesome, I am also addicted. Heinens sells huge containers for a good price and i eat it like chips and dip. so good, also with veggies. I have never tried pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah i wanna try the wheat grass shot. I heard those are really healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I liked the greek yogurt more! do you guys think it tastes like sour cream? It's good only with fruit, but I can't stand it alone. I'm gonna try and mix it in the smoothie and see if I notice a difference.

    LOVE Naked Smoothies... mmm mmm mmmmmmm. Also, Bolthouse has really good smoothies.

    All this talk is making me hungry! Time for lunch!!! Wish it was time to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm...naked smoothies. I love them too, they make me feel so good!

    ReplyDelete